Help us build our legacy of hosting provincial, national and international nordic events by volunteering at one of our biathlon, cross country, ski jumping or nordic combined competitions. You can see a list of our upcoming events on our events calendar.
Volunteer training is available for those without prior experience.
To volunteer for a cross country or biathlon event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To volunteer for a ski jumping / nordic combined event, contact email@example.com.
Here are some general descriptions related to the volunteer positions at our Cross Country, Biathlon, and Ski Jumping / Nordic Combined competitions.
Course volunteers must be able to ski. Course volunteers are responsible for all matters related to the course including:
- Course layout and configurations
- Manning and operating the course
- Trail marking and signage
- Staffing feed stations
- Course control of competitors
- Must be able to ski
Timing volunteers are responsible for all matters related to time-keeping and control of competitors in the start and finish areas including:
- Control and supervision of start, finish and relay hand over zone
- Manning and operating all timing and start/finish functions
- Compiling of records sent by other groups
- Production of results
The competition office is an indoor job that works out of the race office. The competition office is responsible for administrative matters including:
- Bib distribution and pick up
- Providing information to teams
- Control of registrations and entries
- Manage distribution of results, start lists, minutes and protests
- Provide materials such as weather information, maps and diagrams
- Receiving protests
Stadium volunteers are responsible for all support functions in the stadium area including:
- Stadium layout and configuration
- Provide a safe and secure field of play
- Adjust fencing and access control for different events
- Stadium grooming, marking and signage
- Ensuring competitors equipment meets competition regulations
Volunteer and Sponsor Services
Volunteer and sponsor services is responsible for support functions related to volunteers and sponsors, including:
- Volunteer check-in and coordination of onsite meals
- Managing sponsors and other VIP’s on site
Responsible for providing first aid to athletes, volunteers and spectators if needed.
- Must have a minimum of OFA Level 1 or equivalent
- Stocked First Aid backpack supplied for shift
Biathlon Specific Positions
Responsible for all matters related to the shooting range including:
- Range layout
- Manning and operating the penalty loop
- Range grooming
- Operation and maintenance of targets
- Control and supervision of competitors on the range and penalty loop
- Exchange of rifles and replacing lost/defective ammunition
- Range scoring and recording
Ski Jumping Specific Positions
The hill crew prepares the inrun, the landing hill and the outrun. Most of this work is manual on hard snow and ice on slopes on 35 degrees. Most duties are performed on alpine skis or crampons.
- Fill, grade and set tracks on the ice inrun
- Fill and grade the landing hill to create a smooth and hard snow surface
- Maintain a level snow surface for the athletes to decelerate and stop
- Place and remove all hill decorations
- Must have good alpine skiing skills and confidence
- Fitness to perform physically demanding work